Toxic Plants for Pets
They may be pretty, but some plants are poisonous—even deadly. As little as a single leaf from any lily variety is lethal to cats. Others to avoid:
Though both spring and autumn crocuses can cause adverse reactions in pets, the autumn crocus is highly toxic. If ingested, it can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure.
Can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, appetite loss, tremors, drooling and abdominal pain.
Azaleas: Can cause weakness, upset stomach, drooling, heart failure, depression and possible coma.
Christmas tree pine needles:
Christmas tree pine needles: Can produce oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, trembling and posterior weakness.
Results in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, drooling and appetite loss.
This seasonal flowering plant can be dangerous to pets. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting.
Can cause severe gastrointestinal illness, convulsions, seizures, low blood pressure and tremors.
Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.
Can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depression. Can cause staggering in cats.
Commonly found during the Christmas season, can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea and depression.
Though all parts of hyacinths can cause adverse reactions if ingested, these plants contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb. If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and an increase in heart rate.
This popular flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.
Certain types of lilies—including tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese lilies—are highly toxic to cats. Severe kidney failure can result from ingestion of even a few petals or leaves. If your cat has eaten any part of a lily, see a veterinarian immediately.
Another Christmas plant, ingestion can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior, hallucinations and death.
Mulch with cocoa beans:
Dogs are attracted to the noticeable scent of chocolate and can consume a great quantity, which can lead to restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination, excessive panting, increased heart rate and blood pressure levels and seizures.
Oleander is an outdoor shrub, popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers. However, the leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.
Can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and sometimes vomiting.
Very popular in warmer climates, this household and outdoor plant can be very harmful to pets. If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.
Though all parts of tulips can cause adverse reactions if ingested, these plants contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb. If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, an increase in heart rate and a lack of appetite.
Garden Dangers for Pets, Household Toxins for Pets, Top 10 Pet Toxins, Toxic Food for Pets, Toxic Meds for Pets, You Think Your Pet's Been Poisoned: Now What?
Email this article to a friend or share it via your favorite social network.