Gardens and Pet Toxicity

Changing Seasons Bring Budding Poisons and Allergies

Woman hugs dog

With warmer weather and lovely plants in bloom, summer is the perfect season to enjoy quality time outdoors in the yard or garden with your pet. But changing seasons also bring budding poisons and blossoming allergies in the form of plants and flowers. Follow these simple tips to make sure that your pet stays safe and healthy this summer.

Check Before You Plant

As lovely and fragrant as they are, many flowers and plants can be poisonous — even deadly — to pets if ingested. Lilies, daffodils and hyacinths are just a few common plants that are toxic to pets. Ask your veterinarian for a complete list of plants and flowers to avoid.

Be Mindful Of Your Mulch

Commercial mulch sometimes contains cocoa bean shells, which many dogs can’t seem to resist. The chemicals and caffeine that are naturally present in cocoa can be very dangerous to pets if ingested. Make sure that any mulch you buy for the garden is free of cocoa bean shells.


Fertilizers and pesticides may help your garden thrive, but they can be deadly to pets.

Read The Label

Plants

Fertilizers and pesticides may help your garden thrive, but they can be deadly to pets. Always check the label to be sure that anything you apply to your plants is also safe for your pets. When in doubt, don’t use it! Better yet, try pet-friendly organic alternatives for repelling pests.

Allergy Alert!

Your sinuses may tell you when seasons have changed, but did you know that pets can suffer from seasonal allergies, too? If your pet displays symptoms like skin irritation, hair loss, ear infections, excessive sneezing or runny nose, make an appointment to see your veterinarian.

For other tips on poisonous plants, please visit the Budding Poisons center.


If you liked this article, you may enjoy reading more about spring garden safety and toxic plants and pets.


Return to the Pet HealthZone

Email this article to a friend or share it via your favorite social network.

Share This page

Related Articles

Pepper and Ginger

An hour after going out for their potty breaks, Pepper and Ginger both started throwing up violently. Their parents soon realized they had ingested poison meant for a pesky gopher.
 Full Story